Fire Prevention

In 2017 Winnipeg firefighters responded to 466 house fires, most of which were preventable.

The 5 most common causes of these fires were:
• cooking fires in the kitchen
• electrical failure
• improperly maintained dryers
• careless disposal of smoking materials
• arson

So how can you help prevent house fires?

When you are cooking, stay in the kitchen. Fires while cooking can happen quickly, so constant supervision needs to be a priority.

Electrical failure
Extension cords should only be used as a temporary source of electricity and should not be overloaded and not be covered. If your home is older, contact an electrician to inspect your wiring to ensure it is safe.

Built up lint in a dryer could spark a fire because of the heat generated by the appliance. Regularly clean out the lint trap and ensure your exterior vent is free of debris and able to vent outside freely.

Careless disposal of smoking materials
Careless disposal of smoking materials is another way many fires start. Make sure discarded cigarette butts are fully extinguished and only put them in a container without other combustible material.

Keep your yard clear of debris. Flammable material stored against a fence or garage can be a strong attraction for fire bugs.

Since you never know when a fire can start, make sure your home insurance policy is up-to-date and contact us with any questions. Always make sure your smoke alarms are in good working order to provide peace of mind and provide early alerts for your family.