Space Heater Safety
Radiant space heaters warm whatever is directly in front of them, while convection heaters can help make an entire room feel more comfortable. To use them safely, consider the following tips:
- Purchase units with an Underwriters Laboratories of Canada (ULC) or Canadian Standards Association (CSA) label.
- Keep heaters at least one metre from anything that can burn, such as upholstery, curtains, pets or people. Many residential heating fires involve a portable heater that was positioned too close to combustible material.
- Keep the unit on a level surface and plug it directly into a wall outlet.
- Never use a space heater to dry clothing.
- Select a unit that automatically switches off if the unit tips over.
- Do not leave a space heater unattended, especially when children or pets are in the room. Do not leave an electric heater on overnight or when you're sleeping.
- Do not leave your house with you heater left on.